24 June 2012

Letters


                                                               


 Alfshult                                                          
 19 November 1892

Anna, My Idolized!!

As a clean and true love can hardly be revealed in words, I will by these lines ensure you that in my heart you have lit a mighty flame from the first moment when I got the happy chance to see you. Should I hide this passion inside me? Oh, if you have any idea of the might of love you must surely feel the impossibility to get loose from an object that you worship and from whom you get your real life. The life in my heart and my only real joy are just for you. To love you is my dearest spirit wish and to be loved by you my highest desire. Only for you I will live for only you can give my life its true happiness.

Thank you for the enjoyable moments you have given me. I am sure you will look upon this letter as venturesome and presumptuous. I myself didn’t know I could arrive at this boldness. Only I can feel my experience and my spirit so how could I find words to describe the indelible impression you have made on me? For the first thing I know what ecstasy is and with it a flood of proposals for one thing and then another will constantly force their way to my mind--giving my life and my future prospects a new direction. But I hope you will recompense my love for you and not let a hopeless love be the consuming poison on my heart, the oppressed yoke on soul and body, the painful demon, which sucks out life.

I don’t dare hoping of your love because I know that you have friends who could be better than I am, but please then tell me. My dearest wish is that this letter will not be the last I’ll send to you. May the innocence of life prosper on your red cheek and may your life enjoy the good wishes from a boy who loves you, asking for your heart, too much to ask of course, my heart I’ll give to you if you want. Full of hope I look forward to that day when I will get a yes from you. Signed by your true-hearted adorer Aron Alfsen to Anna Beata!


The letter arrived at my Father’s cousin’s house in New Jersey from Sweden almost 100 years after it was dated and on Valentine’s Day. He translated it and sent it to all the scattered families. The story was that an old cabinet was being taken from a farmhouse and the letter slipped out. Moved, the people who read it took it upon themselves to find the relatives of Aron and Anna. 

 Aron was 19 when he wrote this, the first correspondence between them, and Anna was 18. They married on December 14th, 1894.They lived happy, healthy, long lives and were the parents of my beloved Grandmother Ida. Uncle Fred remembers them well. When Anna died in 1950 he said Aron stood up and read a poem he wrote about her and their love story.

Aron deserted his 30-year Army enlistment and left for the United States in early April of 1898. He got caught in Liverpool for his desertion and was asked to pay $50 to clear up the matter. He bluffed and said he would actually prefer to go back to Sweden and promptly disembarked. He bought an accordion, his only baggage, and snuck back on the next ship out. The full trip to Pennsylvania took from April 10 to May 5, 1898. 

According to my Grandfather John, “When Aron Alfsen left Sweden, he left his wife and two children: Arthur, about 2 years old, and Judith, about 5 months old. Judith had been ailing since a month or two of age [she died about five days after Aron left]. She was buried at Alekulla Church cemetery. It was a long time before Anna heard from her husband. Finally she got a letter and on the way home from the post office, she sat down on a tombstone to read it. Having read it, she cried for joy.”  Anna arrived in Pennsylvania with their son at the end of the same year. They had another daughter in 1899 and also named her Judith. 

They lived in a sweet small house on Route 6 in Ludlow Pennsylvania. Tiny town—when I walked down the street on my summer visits I knew or was related to someone in every single house. 

Aron worked every day in the woods cutting timber and skidding logs until he was 75. He died in 1957 and is buried next to Anna and two of their children, Joseph and Ruth, in the Ludlow cemetery. 

 *Alfshult is the name for a plot of land and house near Oxaback, Vastergotland, Sweden. Alfsen received Alfshult when he joined the army the previous year.
*"Dyrkade Anna!!"  I used to carry a copy of the original language letter with me for about ten years. C's Swedish hockey teammate read the opening salutation, which had first been translated by my relative as “Adored Anna," and said that it is a much more intense word and usually used for a reverential religious love.  He said, “Wait, I have to get my mind around this” and looked down muttering a woman's name with Dyrkade attached. We were in a loud sports bar at the time.  He just shook his head finally giving a tiny smile and straightened up to keep reading.



                 Grandma Ida and Father Paul...in front of Great Uncle Arthur's house