03 September 2012

Letter, Right Back At You My Love

Hey! I miss you. Who are you?

Yes, he still says things like, "That is the best sentence I've ever heard in my entire life" and looks like he means it. And by the way I heard, I heard. Tremendous.




I was looking up from the garage and noticed these things that grew in the back yard. From seeds. Can you believe that? Maybe you can help me identify them someday. I'd love to know what they are. I can't even take a stab at it. Perhaps I should go back and get a botany degree.

I thought of your cross country move when I went you know where to see you know who. She was waiting in the dark. Near the fireplace but it was all too shadowed to make anything else out. Her lumped outline in the rocking chair and her layers and heaps of blankets and clothing: open weave thrift store on top, fleece somewhere, cashmere on the bottom, her eyes peeked out as the usual pin darts. Curiously, no hat. You have to go for a visit. Tell me you will.

You will remember all this but just indulge me. Those not in the know come to the "front" door. The "back" door is where one is expected. She still corrects people. While they are standing there. The first door you see when walking up the path is the front door even though it doesn’t open without a crowbar and a team of mastiffs. It is all a dry memoir with a touch of science fiction.


In one of the robin's egg blue foreverstuck cabinets George found our tiny trio of wood bears. He refers to them as "The Twigs." One of them is missing a front leg and he fashioned a toothpick into a pirate appendage. Too much for me sometimes. Just overwhelmed by the greatness of that little moment. His Uncle Bee sent me an architecture book and the simple swirling ink suggestion to "Eat More Walleye" this summer. Now that its all over I have to say I should have. You too.

I've got a real-deal book for you. "Warlock" by Oakley Hall. Its about our hometown 125 years ago. Just get it. Then start in right away. We can talk about it on the plane. I plan on keeping you awake the whole time with stories and antics. I'll start by telling you the word. I re-purposed it yesterday after a long breakfast. So simple and so obvious. It begins with L but it isn't...nor is it...but: you'll get it. And it will work.

Be safe Dummy,
R